The Don Ce-Sar, also known as the Pink Lady, first opened in January 1928 as a luxury resort on Pass-a-Grille to cater to the visiting wealthy during Florida's land boom. The resort stayed alive during the Depression thanks in part to the New York Yankees' spring training, but fell into disrepair after the death of the original owner, Thomas Rowe. The hotel was bought by the U.S. Army Corps. for use as a military hospital in 1942 but after the war, on April 1, 1946, became the Regional Offices for the Veterans Administration. These offices, previously housed at Bay Pines, were moved to increase space at Bay Pines for the influx of World War II veterans. The VA remained at "the Don" until 1967.