During the 1950's through the 1970's Bay Pines and Florida Representatives such as James Haley, William C. Cramer, and Bill Young fought for direly needed expansion in the form of buildings and hospital beds. At the same time, however, the facility (originally 500 acres) had a surplus of land. In 1955 Bay Pines gave 18 acres of surplus land to the Board of Public Instruction of Pinellas County for the construction of Madeira Beach School. In 1966 over 359 acres was to Pinellas County for the creation of War Memorial Park. And in 1974, 17.6 acres was given to the Florida Department of Transportation. But it would not be until 1976, after Congressman Bill Young personally courted president Gerald Ford's favor on the subject, that Bay Pines received $110 million in funding for new construction and expansion.