During the 1932-1933 construction of Bay Pines it was generally known that Native Americans had previously inhabited the area. The earliest recorded excavation of the area was in 1880 by S. T. Walker, who left a collection with the Smithsonian (the record of which is currently available on the Smithsonian website). However, no archaeological excavation was conducted during construction and several middens—shell heaps—and mounds were destroyed—in fact, some of the shell from the original roads came from the middens.
In 1971, construction was scheduled to begin for the first Nursing Home Care Unit. Knowing there were Indian mounds in the vicinity of the planned site, the Veterans Administration contacted Ralph Reed of the Pinellas County Historical Commission, who worked with the Suncoast Archaeological Society to hold a controlled dig of the area between July and September of that year. After submitting the results, the Bay Pines site (Pi64) was added to the National Register of Historic Places.